Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nightstand Makeover

We have been DYING to try our hands at refinishing furniture. So we took the plunge and lucked out at the very first thrift store we stopped at. I had been needing a new nightstand anyway. And this one was solid, big, and 5 bucks. Sold.
First we sanded the whole thing and primed it. Then it sat in the garage for a month. Maybe more. All I know is I went on vacation for 3 weeks and it sat primed and unpainted for at least another week after I got home. Major slacking on our part. Well...I did pick out a paint color and buy it if that counts as progress. Then one day I got off work earlier than I expected and I went home and finished the whole thing. What can I say? Once I set my mind to something it is happening.


I painted the entire nightstand an aqua blue {you know, the one that is crazy popular right now?} I think it was called Spa by Behr.


We had been going back and forth for days about what design the nightstand should have. I ended up kind of flying by the seat of my pants and very optimistically attempted the chevron. I say optimistically because I eyeballed it with painters tape and just kinda hoped it worked out.
I don't know if I would necessarily recommend this technique to anyone, but I thought it worked well enough. I measured a few things here and there and that was about it. Nothing is perfectly even or anything, but I just convinced myself it was all part of its shabby chic charm. {Right??}


Then all it needed was some new hardware from Lowes and it was a whole new nightstand.
Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment